"We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America."
- We the People of the United States. Many will argue that this statement written back in 1787 was a racist/discriminatory remark. And left alone in its historical context could be made out to be that way. Was it meant for only male, white, property owners? Again, by itself, maybe. But read on. They knew that white male property owners were "in charge". But they did not use that language. They easily could have. This they knew would leave room for future discussion. Today it means anyone who is an American citizen. But the most important issue of this statement is that the people are in control, not the government. The people should have more power than the government. Small government.
- in Order to form a more perfect Union. The framers knew they had come from a non-perfect world. They knew what they were doing was not perfect either. They wanted a MORE perfect union. This means they knew in the future it would have to be changed. But for now the laws they were establishing would serve as a better way to life than Britain.
- establish Justice. Not to perfect justice, but establish it. They were laying the foundations for a system that would create fairness. But again, a more perfect union. Justice may not always seem fair. Some will always be on the short end of the stick. What is fair for some may not be fair for others.
- insure domestic Tranquility. Peace within our borders was one of our first and foremost priorities.
- provide for the common defence. Securing our borders was another priority.
- promote the general Welfare. The welfare this speaks of is not the Welfare System. Oddly enough there are people who quote this line and say people should get everything provided by the government. The goal here is to promote general welfare, not to provide for it. Welfare also means how people are doing, not what they are given. The system is supposed to promote ways for people to do better, not provide people things to be better. Plus, the word general means "overall" not "everyone".
- and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity. It all comes down to this. They created this paper so the future will have a chance.
- do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America. Establish again means to start, not to end. This was the beginning of an experiment. No one had ever created what we were about to create. A new nation is now upon the face of the earth. One that will be watched for almost 240 years now. Many will hate it. Many will want to destroy it. But it can not be argued, most want to be it.